East Brunswick Independent Fire Company updated their profile picture.
2 days ago
... See MoreSee Less
wore it today for our anual feast
1 week ago
Happy to hear everyone went home safely from the Ho-Ho-Kus Volunteer Fire Department. A great training video to remind ourselves to always be vigilant and aware of our surroundings. #everyonegoeshome
The Ho-Ho-Kus (NJ) Fire Department received a call reporting a tree on fire yesterday. Lieutenant Dane Policastro (747) arrived on scene, established command and reported a primary service line in contact with a tree creating a small fire. Public Service Electric & Gas were requested to respond to the scene. The command post was established on Hollywood Avenue, a safe distance away from the active fire.
While awaiting the arrival of Public Service Electric & Gas, a portion of the tree, which had burned through due to the active fire, fell and with it tore down multiple power lines onto the roadway and on top of a nearby vehicle. The high tension lines began arcing in the roadway and on top of the vehicle which was in close proximity to a nearby structure.
Lieutenant Policastro requested all remaining Ho-Ho-Kus fire apparatus to the scene. It was identified that an underground 30" high pressure gas main was directly below the power line arcing on the roadway. At this point Assistant Chief Scott McDermott (740) arrived on scene and assumed command. Moments later, an explosion occurred in the underground sanitary sewer system. This explosion caused two (2) manhole covers to launch into the air approximately 30-40 feet. The manhole covers were in close proximity to apparatus and Firefighters.
An immediate evacuation of all residences in the area was conducted. Once evacuations were complete all apparatus and members retreated to a further distance. Upon the arrival of PSE&G, readings were taken on the roadway, underground and inside accessible structures to detect for any potentially dangerous gas levels.
Subsequently, the arcing wires subsided and the incident was gradually downgraded as gas levels were determined to be safe. PSE&G de-energized power to the area to ensure the safety of area residents and pedestrians. The Fire Department then extinguished the remaining fire and ensured the area was safe. The fire department operated for approximately 7.5 hours.
The cause of the explosion is unconfirmed however believed to be the result of the arcing power line igniting a build-up of either natural gas or methane gas within the sewer piping. It is believed that as the heated gases expanded it created pressure seeking opportunity to vent. The resulting explosion escaped at the weakest point, the manhole covers.
This incident is another stern reminder to the public as well as Firefighters and other public safety community that electrical and gas emergencies can quickly advance into potentially deadly situations. Fortunately all area residents, Firefighters and other first responders involved in this incident went home safely.An Eyewitness News camera was rolling when it happened in Ho-Ho-Kus, New Jersey. Check out more Eyewitness News - abc7ny.com/ OUR SOCIAL MEDIA – FACEB... ... See MoreSee Less
You have to see it to believe it. Amazing.
While not the US, it certainly shows how flammable vapors & liquid can quickly ignite. ... See MoreSee Less
God bless you
Our brothers & sisters of the Perth Amboy Fire Department faced a tough challenge early this morning. Luckily they escaped with only minor burns after a flashover occurred.On 2/2/18 at 0307, the department responded to a building fire at 109 Commerce Street. Arriving crews were met by heavy fire conditions on all three floors of the structure. The Truck 2 crew entered the building to search for two confirmed trapped victims. Shortly after entering the building, a flashover occurred forcing members out. Attached are pictures of the turnout gear which show the effects of the flashover. Several members were treated for minor burns and have been discharged since. They are all home safe. Our thoughts and prayers go out to the families of the victims whose lives were lost at this tragic fire. ... See MoreSee Less
Yesterday at 1915hrs a township general was dispatched to all three fire districts for a working structure fire on Kendall Road. Crews arrived to find heavy smoke pushing from the structure. Lines were stretched & the home was searched for occupants. It was determined the fire originated in the basement and extended to the first floor. The fire was extinguished and searches were negative. Luckily there were no injuries however the home sustained a large amount of water & smoke damage. Thank you to Old Bridge Volunteer Fire Department & Brookview Volunteer Fire Company for assisting on scene as well as our mutual aid companies that stood by in our quarters while we operated. ... See MoreSee Less
Last night we are were dispatched to an activated general fire alarm at the Days Hotel located on Rt 18. Chief 800 and Squad 806 with a crew of 6 arrived simultaneously. 800 received a report of a fire on the 4th floor of the hotel, the squads crew went upstairs and upon investigation found an air conditioning unit had caught fire but was already extinguished. The crew had a heavy smoke condition throughout the 4th floor and crews had to ventilate the hallway. Ladder 801 sent their crew with fans and forcible entry tools to find multiple rooms with smoke conditions. With the heavy smoke staying consistent Chief 800 requested Truck 709 from the Old Bridge Volunteer Fire Department . Good work to all crews who operated last night. It shows the importance of fire alarms and the necessity to evacuate even if you do not smell or see smoke. Everyone should be reminded to call 9-1-1 when there is a smoke condition or fire in a building. Great work again by all! #EBIFC #eastbrunswickfire ... See MoreSee Less
2017 was another busy year, check out our year in review and see the types of incidents we respond to!!!
Interested in joining us, reach out to firstname.lastname@example.orgEAST BRUNSWICK INDEPENDENT FIRE COMPANY located in central new jersey ... See MoreSee Less
How many fires did you guys respond too last year?
Another fine job by a great outfit. Stay safe in 2018 my brothers